[mythtv] Question on Xv output and NuppelVideoPlayer

Clyde Stubbs clyde at htsoft.com
Fri Jul 2 03:10:43 EDT 2004

Isaac,

thanks for the reply;

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 03:00:22PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:

> displayed.  The XSync call makes it wait and not return until the image has
> been displayed (ie, the XvPutImage request has been completed).  Separating

No, it doesn't. All XSync does is send a GetInputFocus request to the X server
and waits for the reply. This means that after the XSync returns,
the X server has processed all outstanding requests, i.e. that the
XvPutImage() call has made it as far as the video card, but says nothing about
what the video card is up to, IOW it could return some time before the
video card is ready to display the buffer.

> Try removing the XSync call from Show() and see what happens.

Ok, I tried that. It has very little effect.

The other part of my question you didn't answer - am I correct in
assuming that the video card will only display a new frame at
vertical blank time? I'm pretty certain this must be the case,
otherwise there would be significant tearing visible.

Clyde

> Isaac

Clyde Stubbs                     |            HI-TECH Software
Email: clyde at htsoft.com          |          Phone            Fax
WWW:   http://www.htsoft.com/    | USA: (408) 490 2885  (408) 490 2885
PGP:   finger clyde at htsoft.com   | AUS: +61 7 3552 7777 +61 7 3552 7778