[mythtv] cvs compile error?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Feb 25 19:27:43 EST 2004

> I was under the impression that fedora was supposed to change that.  It
> was supposed to become more bleeding edge with rolling updates (or at
> least that was the impression I got).  Bleeding edge means it isn't really
> suitable for static servers that just need to keep running (e.g. database
> servers in large companies don't really want radical software changes,
> just bugfixes - that's what RHEL is for), but it's good for those of us
> who want the most up to date toys...  Unfortunately that doesn't seem to
> have happened. :(

Nope, not bleeding edge, just faster-moving than the server additions.
Fedora is supposed to have 3-4 releases per year, compared to one
release every 1-2+ years.

For those who want bleeding, there's always rawhide, but it's NOT stable
most of the time.

Fedora is the "testing bed" for the enterprise versions of RedHat, which
means that they're still going for overall stability.  But since their
release cycle is more ambitious than the older non-enterprise RedHat,
they'll push through software versions faster.  Just not as fast as
"bleeding" distros like Mandrake.  Fedora/RedHat have also shown a lot
more interest in Gnome, so KDE/Qt stuff tends to get less attention.
Fedora is supposed to help with this, but I'm sure it'll be a slow
transition.

--
Chris Petersen
Programmer / Web Designer