[mythtv] Suggestion: Programming with patterns

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Feb 25 17:33:05 EST 2004

Thomas Börkel wrote:
> It would be nice, if it would be possible, to program the scheduler with
> patterns.

Of course this has been suggested many times before and has
even been discussed to the level of what needs to be done in
the SQL queries. There would need to be several changes
throughout the system to account for wildcard titles. I expect
that this will happen someday but it hasn't actually been
implemented yet.

> Today, I can only have a show in the EPG being recorded or I do it
> manually for a certain day/time.

As of 0.14 there is a list of keyword kept for searches. Even
though these can't be used for automatic recording, you can go
to Schedule Recordings->Search Listings->Titles and enter the
phrase "Star Trek". This will show everything that matches and
you mark anything that you'd like to record. When you come back
later, "Star Trek" is still in the list so you can look again.

> - schedule shows, that do NOT run at the moment, but will run sometime
> in the future, so I won't overlook them!

You actually can do this in a round about way. Go to Manual
Schedule and make a dummy 1 minute record for some bogus time
in the future (just not "now" ;-). Edit the title to match
the title you will be looking for. If you know it will be on
one specific station, set the channel for that station. Next,
go to the Recording Priorities page, find your new title and
press Enter. Now, set the type to channel (if just one channel)
or all.

I've done this several times. I recall doing this for "Todd TV"
and "American Idol" when promos started but before there were
listings.

Anyway, if anyone would like to reply to emphasize how important
this feature would be, you should probably attach a patch with
a fully implemented version. Otherwise you are just preaching to
the choir ;-).

--  bjm