[mythtv] zap2it 'labs'

Arthur Britto ahbritto at iat.com
Mon Feb 23 16:00:09 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 12:25, Kendrick Vargas wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Arthur Britto wrote:
> > In particular, "associated works that use any aspect of Licensed Data
> > .. shall be the sole and exclusive property of TMS" seems problematic.
> > This seems like it might be broadly interpreted to include mythtv.
>
> You're probably right, but that's the sort of thing that would normally
> get thrown out if it came to a legal case. I don't think it'd apply at all
> because the end user would be agreeing to the license, not the license
> holder for myth. If myth is simply modified to allow a pluggable scheme
> for getting listings data, then a simple script can be written outside of
> myth which even if it were considered a derivative work of the data,
> would not be connected to the primary myth source at all.

It seems likely to me that Isaac may have already agreed to this
agreement...

It is poor practice to disregard legal issues today in hopes of
favorable resolution tomorrow.  A simple one or two line change now can
avoid an incredible amount pain and expense later.

If they are not willing to make a simple change now, imagine their
behavior when they are dealing with something of potential value.

In general, it is better to test someone's character before, not after,
making a substantial investment of your time and resources.

-Arthur
--
Copyright (c) 2004 Arthur Britto, All Rights Reserved, Redistribution of this message requires written permission.