[mythtv] Re: Different compile options

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 16 08:12:43 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:42:37PM +0100, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2004 11:59, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Taking this to the development list and top posting as it gets a bit
> > more general and is not really answering the question.
> >
> > I try to enable as much components as possible w/o hurting other
> > setups. E.g. native alsa and native lirc seem to be OK, directfb
> > support is causing problems. I don't know if enabling dvb support will
> > have any impact on non-DVB users. Same for the nvidia libs.
> >
> > If the extra compiled in components are detected and used/deactivated
> > at runtime, this is no problem. So my question is, which current
> > components of mythtv are safe to be built in, and which not. And also
> > if the ones that are not safe could be made safe. :)
> >

> DVB support compiled in should not conflict with other stuff, so it should be
> safe to add it. The problem with adding either the XvMC or Epia accellerated
> methods is that they add extra library dependencies, but they could be
> disabled by default (by modifying avformatdecoder.cpp and globalsetting.cpp
> lines with UseXVMC and UseViaSlice).

Extra library dependencies, if available from the same source as the
mythtv bits, are not a problem I believe, a few unused libraries don't
hurt the usual mythtv sized hard disk.

> If we were to split out these output methods into libs/drivers, that
> are packaged separatly, the whole problem would go away. I did this
> to my tree a while back (still have it around here somewhere), but I
> dunno if this is enough of a reason to do it?

No, that would be overkill, unless the dependencies cluster together
to a very big size (like xmltv for mythtv-backend).

Are you saying that it is safe to build against nvidia's XvMC (which
is static BTW) or Epia, even if the user will have neither?
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de