[mythtv] OSD issue?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Fri Feb 13 14:41:54 EST 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 05:56 am, Andrew Mahone wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:30:11 -0500, "Andrew Mahone"
>
> <andrewmahone at eml.cc> said:
> > Ah, ok, I'll try the static reciprocal LUT idea first, then.  Don't
> > expect anything stunning - closer to a 20-30% gain than the 300% that
> > filters with all-MMX math can approach.
>
> I spent a few hours testing various ways of calculating this in Python.
> The best I can get it to work is within +/- 1 of the values in pow_lut.
> All but about 200 of the possible pairs of input values produce exactly
> the same result.  I can maybe get it a little better, but I don't think
> perfect is possible, short of doing the division in SSE.  Think this is
> worth further pursuit, or should I get back to something else? :)

Well, it doesn't have to be exact as long as it looks right..  I'd say it's
worth further pursuit -- speeding up the OSD generation would be well worth
it.  Easy way to test to make sure that it's look ok is to use a theme that
ovelaps the info and pause displays ('defaultosd', for instance), pull up the
info display, then pause it.  The info display should eventually start fading
out, while the pause display stays up.  If the various transparencies aren't
being calculated properly, it's _really_ noticeable =)

Isaac