[mythtv] Mythtv/DVB enhancements

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Wed Feb 11 10:44:02 EST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 11:08, Simon at the Threshold wrote:
> I recently subscribed to the mythtv-dev list as I would like to become
> more invovled in the mythtv development process.  Although oddly enough
> I'm still at the bottom of a nice steep ramp up on the codebase so its
> slow going for the time being.

Cool, just go and read, gotta start somewhere..

[snip]
> Secondly since I have a marginal DVB-T connection I notice I get
> "no-dataed" quite a lot from the DVB driver. Saddly this causes the
> mythback to lockup (loop of death) and for the frontend to die in a xvmv
> assert. So I kind of figured it might be nice to harden that code to
> cope with missing data.  So how about a "lost transmission" error
> displayed on the mythfrontend instead?.  This appears to be quite a in
> depth fix so I'd appreciate any hints.. <Chuckle>

I've already (75% complete, damn there's no error checking in there) got this
fixed in my local tree. If I pull the cable off of my card, the LiveTV
session will, after about 5s pull back, and display a dialog informing you
that the backend has problems, and are advised to check the logs.

> Thirdly an enhancement to DVB, I understand that the DVB drivers allow
> for multiple streams to be read from the same frequency (ahh the joys of
> multiplexing). I guess it would be good enhancement for mythtv to be
> able to cope with this one. Bit of a mythtv expert change but I'd be
> interesting in hearing how it could be implemented?

Yea, I did something like this a while back, but stopped working on it when I
discovered that my conditional access module would only decrypt one channel
at a time (completly outside dvb specification, arg). I belive it was fairly
close to working, even though it didn't here, and mostly needed some cleanups
(and maybe some fresh ideas). I posted the patch on the mythtv-dev list when
I stopped working on it, so you can find it in the archives (under lists on
mythtv.org), search for virtual dvb.

Kenneth