[mythtv] who has hdtv?

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Tue Feb 10 02:33:17 EST 2004

]Keep on working on it!  I for one, appreciate the effort.

Thanks. It's good to hear there are actually people trying these
patches. Anyone that's had a problem please don't hesitate to send me
any information you have, it doesn't have to be a perfect to be a useful
bug report.

]In trying to track down the problem with my PBS stations, I discovered how
]easy it is for the backend to starve the frontend.  Just adding a few
]debugging outputs in the backend, and the frontend starts stuttering badly.
]Made me realize that the backend needs to be as efficient as possible.
I've been seeing this too, I don't think I'll have time to look at it
though. It might make sense to reorganize the TS packet parsing to be
L1 cache friendly. And it probably makes sense to assemble the PES
packets in the backend.
But a higher priority for me on the backend is to properly parse out the
audio stream... or maybe record multiple audio streams and select the
right one the front end. So.. I'll be looking at your PBS patch
Wednesday.

]I will probably try your XvMC interlace patch Wednesday night.  Been a long
]time since I compiled Myth with XvMC enabled.

You might want to look at NuppelVideoRecorder in the latest patch, there
is some disabled code for dropping B frames there. The problem is I lose
sync on the audio and I also seem to run out of video buffers somehow.
I think there is actually a bug in videoout_xvmc in that ProcessFrame()
gets a video frame that is only disposed of if Show() is called, which
doesn't always happen with the more advanced Syncing methods.
There also seems to be a bug in NuppelVideoPlayer::OutputVideoLoop()
dealing with prebuffering, the lock is never released if you are
prebuffering because you hit a "continue;" first.

But even accounting for these the audio gets out of sync when I popup
an OSD. The MpegVideoLoop() method was my attempt to understand the
syncing stuff, I can get the frame dropping to work perfectly there,
but I don't get any audio. Which from a cursory look at the
OutputVideoLoop I should be getting... I think dropping B-frames could
solve the OSD problem with XvMC.

Anyway, maybe some other eyes are needed on this.

-- Daniel