[mythtv] [patch] Channel visible indicator

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Fri Feb 6 12:23:46 EST 2004

> "Kevin Kuphal" <kevin.kuphal at myrealbox.com> writes:
>
> > It is not related to favorites (as others have noted).  It
> is about hiding
> > channels that you don't want to see or don't get on your
> service.  Currently
> > I could do this by commenting them out from XMLTV
> configuration and removing
> >>From the DB but as someone noted, they come back the next time I run
> > configuration or other functions that reinit the XMLTV stream.
>
> Huh?  They don't for me.  After I run the xmltv configuration, but
> before I run mythfilldatabase, I edit the xmltv config file and put
> "not " in front of all of the channels I don't want to see.  The next
> time I run xmltv's --configure it retains those settings, and
> mythfilldatabase honors them as well so they wont get into
> the database.
>
> So, there ARE ways to do what you want with the existing technology.

Actually it depends on the XMLTV script you're using to get the info.
Here in The Netherlands for example there is no official source for TV
Guide information. So the script just does a kind of webcrawl leeching
the information from certain websites. Unfortunately that is a very slow
process which consumes quite a bit of bandwidth (hopefully the script
will never become very popular here because it would surely bring down
those sites ;-).

So somebody else wrote a different script that just gets the entire TV
Guide with all possible channels (which aren't that all many) from a
pre-filled cache (that way just one person doing the crawling/leeching
is enough).

And that's where the problem is: you get _all_ channels, if you want
them or not, if you can receive them or not. Period.

So that's where the patch comes in that I wrote some months ago, it's
probably similar to Kevin's but without changing the DB: if you set the
channel number in the channels table to NULL the EPG won't show that
channel. And that way running the XMLTV script won't keep re-adding
those deleted channels either. The only problem is that there is some
newer code that doesn't know about this "feature" (like mythweb) that
still needs to be done.

So in the end I agree: there ARE ways to do what he wants with existing
technology :-)

Cheers,
 -Tako