[mythtv] API suggestions

Henrik (Mauritz) Johnson hpj at underscore.se
Fri Feb 6 06:26:54 EST 2004

Hi, a few questions and suggestions regarding the API. These are not in
any particular order and I'll probably find more stuff as I keep working
with it.

1. The use of QString and const is totally messed up. For instance why
use the "const QString" datatype... ever? The correct usage should be
"const QString &" which will save one extra copy. I know that QStrings
are shared and therefor quickly copied, but that doesn't make it right.
Someone should go through the API and clean that up. (I volunteer if
someone give me CVS access).

2. Would anyone have any problems with me adding a few methods for
modifying a few attributes of UI elements. The one I ran into now was
changing the pixmap of a textbutton while running, but I'm sure there
are more.

3. I have a fairly complex UI XML file (Around 40 elements) and it takes
20 seconds to render... Should this really be the case? it seems really
excessive.

Well, thats all for now. Also, there was the <value> tag for TextButtons
in XML that I posted about before and never got any response on.

/Mauritz