[mythtv] New music playing module for mythtv

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed Feb 4 02:54:33 EST 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 02:12 am, Henrik (Mauritz) Johnson wrote:
> Hi, I wrote to this list a few months ago about plans to write a new
> module for playing music or alternatively doing some heavy modifications
> to the current one. I've started the work on this now, I don't really
> have anything to show yet but here are some of the points that I'm
> aiming on doing different than the current music module.

That's great, but you're going to overlap with mfd.  mythmusic will start
using the mfd for playback/ripping Real Soon Now, once Thor's finally happy
with how it works on its own.

> 1. Use libxine for playback. This has the advantage that it can handle
> music videos as well as supporting a huge amount fileformats. I already
> have a Qt widget playing libxine stuff.

I've said this before, guess I'll have to say it again.  I will not add xine
as a dependency to mythtv or mythmusic.

> 3. One of the main focus is to ALWAYS keep the music playing, no matter
> what you are doing in the user interface.

Already done with mfd.

> 4. Design the userinterface to handle huge volumes of music and make
> browsing of said music list as painless as posible. My current music
> collection is almost 8000 songs or videos (My jukebox fileserver is
> almost 3tb of disc). So for instance such silliness as scanning through
> the disc to get all the songs is not an option no matter what, not on
> startup, not anytime. I'm also designing the userinterface for use of a
> programmable remote (I use a Philips Pronto myself) so there will be
> quite a lot of keybindings and no corresponding buttons on the screen
> for them. There is precious little screen realestate as it is, why waste
> it on buttons?

Because not everyone has a pronto?  Ideally, the interface should be
completely useable with 4 arrow keys, a select button, a menu button, and
escape.  Using the number keys for minor functionality is allowable.

Isaac