[mythtv] [patch] Prefer lower-numbered audio stream

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Dec 28 21:31:03 UTC 2004

> Well, what it really requires is for someone to look up the rule used
> for audio streams in MPEG2 files.  There must be some sort of rule,
> otherwise stand alone DVD players and HDTVs would get it wrong.  In my
> (limited) testing, DVDs appear to follow a pattern of the highest
> numbered track that meets the desired number of channels.  However,
> it's possible there's some sort of flag to indicate this.

Interesting.  I was debugging some mplayer cases where the most recent
version kept picking the wrong audio track and the lower number track
was definitely the one I wanted.  The track I wanted was always one of
the first to come up from the mplayer scan though...

In some cases I was getting a foreign audio track so the first test must
be to check the two digit language flag on the audio stream.  However, I
sometimes get the directors commentary instead of the normal audio track
(I think both must be 5.1 audio? Not tested though).  Not sure how to
detect this.

I would be interested to find out a little more about these "rules"...

All the above is talking about DVD's...