[mythtv] Mythmusic and corrupt FLAC files

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 27 18:24:10 UTC 2004

Bruce Dillahunty wrote:
> And just to followup to myself... more testing reveals that some files
> are "different" than others. If I get the "--until value is before
> --skip point" error from FLAC (I'm not giving it an until or skip
> value... it seems to be "finding one" somewhere, or else is just very
> confused), then nothing I do will make it play with flac, although VLC
> and apparently mplayer deal with it no-problem.
>
> Odd to me that "flac" can't play a flac file that everybody else can :-)

hehe, yeah, you'd think it would manage OK eh?

Someone mentioned a 2-second gap hack in the FLAC code. I've not really
looked but it may be worth disabling this hack and trying a rip again to
see if the errors go away??

It sounds like the kind of hack that would cause something like this in
my option. Perhaps it sometimes chops data in half or something and
mplayer and vlc just skip past it (cause they try and cope with
corrupted data), but flac itself requires pristine data and does not
attempt recovery from corruption???

On my setup flac -t (test) said everything was OK, so I can't really
replicate the error at the mo'. For sanity, I did a flac -d and played
the .wav file. It didn't give any errors and sounded fine when playing...

My home server is playing up (random freezes - think it must be memory
tho' it tests fine!), so apologies if I don't reply as promptly as I could.

Col