[mythtv] New idea for commercial flagging...

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Dec 23 09:10:33 UTC 2004

Jason Flynn wrote:

> --- Ed Wildgoose <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
>

>>By "hashing" all frames in some sensible way
>>

> This is a lot of data to process. What happens
>for thinks like snooker which look the "same"
>nearly all the while (like a big green table
>with a few small coloured dots)?

Good thought about certain sports like snooker (or darts..?) where the
camera is fixed and so the frame will be frequently similar.  It might
still be handled by some heuristics which look for the hash clusters and
ignore those which occur thousands of times and only focus on the ones
which occur every 10-15 mins...

I could imagine repeated adverts might cause a hit as well, but in the
same way our heuristics should pick those up as only occuring a few
times and not as often as the real advert borders

I don't know about you, but the current commercial detection has an
extremely low hitrate for me and it's not worth turning it on.  I don't
watch the snooker, and in any, except for hardened snooker fans, it's
hopefully a fringe case..?

As for processing power, agreed it's heavy.  Perhaps we can simplify the
job by doing a first pass on less data?  Scan only a few rows from the
middle of the picture, then rescan the likely candidate frames in more
detail?  Perhaps this reduces the load a little..

> In the UK, this "banner" is also accompanied by
>am unusual character stream on p.888 teletext
>but obviously only applies to UK analogue.

Nice idea.  Again though I am on DVB and so I don't think this is
available in my case?  Good idea for a local detection signal though.

Ed W