[mythtv] hdtvrecorder: dynamic ringbuffers?

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Wed Dec 22 13:20:11 UTC 2004

> IMHO, and not having tried it, the new system sounds like a winner.
> The only big problem I see is if the system goes into swap, it would
> spiral out of control needing more and more buffers as it struggles
> to keep up. Perhaps detecting the amount of physical RAM in the
> system and limiting to (say) half of it (total) for ringbuffers
> would be the way to go.

Not clear why you have swap enabled on what is essentially an embedded
device: 512MB should be more VM than you ever need for this purpose,
and by disabling swap you eliminate an entire class of latency
failures that can be mistaken for other problems.  Just IMO.  Only my
laptop has swap, and then enabled only when I do swsusp2 hibernate.

Cheers,
Kyle