[mythtv] Predictive text input method

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 15 21:09:27 UTC 2004

Quoting Ian Campbell <ijc at hellion.org.uk>:

> Perhaps cutting off when the next press results in zero matches makes
> sense but that is the sort of thing I'd need to try with running code to
> see how it 'felt'...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sounds cool tho'.

> I wasn't going to show the search term itself, but rather hi-light the
> matched part of every entry in the list somehow, with the selected entry
> being completely hi-lighted by a background hi-light bar like current
> selection methods...
>
> For example, if you consider <> to be bold text and [] to be the
> selected entry with an input of 0786 => "[0\s][7pqrs][8tuv][6mno]"
> followed by down, down on my collection then you might see:
snip
> it's another thing that needs working code to really get a feel for how
> nice it will be but I reckon it's a good starting point for
> experimentation.

Ahhh, that makes a whole lot of sense to me!! I'm not an expert, (having not
played around with the TV stuff), but you may have trouble with bold text and
such. For the first instance tho' even a literal use of the notation you
describe above would be fine!!!

> Absolutely. I was planning to prototype in mythmusic till I learnt my
> way around the source base then figure out how it can be made generic.

Yeah, I've not yet delved into libmyth myself, but was considering writing a
Festival client thing such that it could synthesise random strings (e.g. song
names, artist names etc.) of text to speech. I noticed tho' that MythPhone has
some festival related stuff in it, so not sure if that would be better, but
IIRC it links directly, so a socket based interface may be more favourable for
libmyth... Not sure to be honest but time may (eventually) tell. I wrote a
festival client that got it's data over the network some time ago, so should be
easy enough to code it.

Let me know if I can code anything for you or if you want help in MythMusic
code. I'm no expert, but I've had a poke round fairly recently so am at least
partially up to speed! That said, I've not looked at the UI stuff in that great
depth!!!

All the best

Col.