[mythtv] Software AC3 decoding when watching TV

htpc htpc at treblid.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 8 06:06:43 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Does MythTV support software AC3 decoding when watching TV with AC3 APIDs for the DVB-T format? (damn these acronyms) Everybody seem to output AC3 via digital out but I prefer an all-in-one solution (mainly becoz I can't afford to buy a receiver).

Are they any technical issues that makes software AC3 decoding impossible for Myth? libavcodec appears to have ac3 decoder support. (not sure whether that is the AC3 for DVB-T or the a52 for ATSC, or whatever).

I am a C++/QT programmer (although a lousy one) by trade but it still takes time for me to look through the source and get the big picture, thus I appreciate any tips/pointers/references/help to help me start working on this feature.

Some more questions:
1) Is A52 == Dolby Digital == AC3?
2) Is it right that the AC3 audio on DVB-T doesn't have a proper AC3 header?

I'm sorry if all this have been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a definite answer or solution for this topic on Gossamer Threads, so I'm starting a new one.

Regards.