[mythtv] AMD64 compile problems in postprocess.c

Taylor, Matt matt.taylor at Polycom.com
Wed Dec 8 00:20:12 UTC 2004

> I'm getting this linker error when trying to build MythTV CVS (current
> as of 11:20am EST November 30th).  I've tried for a week to get this
> resolved and haven't figured anything out.  Any ideas?
> /usr/bin/ld: postprocess.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when
> making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> postprocess.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I am new to mythtv and am also getting this error when compiling for a 64bit AMD on Gentoo.  Gentoo and emerge does some strange things for me so I'm attempting to compile it by hand.  Kyle, did you hear anything back from ffmpeg guys about this?  Your theory about the assembler code being incorrect sounds right considering the changes to postprocess.c;  I just subscribed today to this list so I may have missed something about this problem if was posted here.

I did a diff on postprocess.c between 0.15 and 0.16 and there was certainly changes around the assembly code.    When I get a chance I will take a stab at fixing it, but my time is limited for the next few days.

Matt