[mythtv] New AspectRatio option

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Dec 2 11:32:19 UTC 2004

> I am using an M10K box with Fedora 2 and have set the "DisplaySize"
> option to "400 225" which seems to work fine for me, apart
> from the OSD which I know has been fixed. My MythTv is
> from CVS on 21/11/04.

Nice to know.  What is your screen res with these settings?  720x576 as
stated below?

Do all the fonts look OK for you on the various screens?  With my
settings I find them a bit too large? Your settings appear to give a dpi
around 50-65 (depending if you look horizontally or vertically)

> With the M10K set to 720x576, DisplaySize not given and the
> test video which is a 720x576 interlaced video, running
> "mythtv <videofile>" gives good output which is interlaced.
> MythTv is not scaling the incoming video, which is correct.
> However, if I change the aspect ratio with the "w" command
> and go back to "4:3" mode (or use the appropriate configuration
> setting to force 4:3 mode initially"), then the displayed video no
> longer looks correctly interlaced.
> I haven't looked into this yet, maybe some different scaling
> is applied when the "w" command is used to swap aspect ratio.

Hmm, I haven't dug in to find the relevant code, but from the
description I would guess that it could be a bug due to starting with
the width to get the height, or starting with the height to get the
width, etc..?  I guess if you could locate the relevant calculation and
add some debugging code then you would see some small rounding error
that would clearly show the problem?

If I get a chance I will have a look myself because I have exactly the
same issue.  Would also be interested to locate the same code in mplayer
to tune that as well!

Interesting stuff.

Thanks

Ed W