[mythtv] New AspectRatio option

Robert Clark mythtv at ratty.org.uk
Wed Dec 1 19:59:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 19:18, Ed Wildgoose wrote:

> >  I've run into the same kind of problems. Although the canonical way to
> >fix this is to set the screen size in the X server config file, I've
> >found that there are rounding errors introduced with this.
>
> What rounding errors?  I must admit that my fonts look a little off
> which I have never chased down, but I wrote a little spreadsheet to try
> and find the best ratio that got close to 100dpi with no rounding error
> (but still had the correct aspect).
>
> I think we only need to find values for the common screen resolutions
> and add them to the documentation and then we are done - no?
>
> FWIW: for 720x576 I have the following setting which gives some slightly
> too large fonts:
> DisplaySize 325 183

  Looking back at what's commented out in my xorg.conf file, I tried the
following:

#       DisplaySize  672 378
#       DisplaySize  16 9
#       DisplaySize  160 90

  With each of these I saw some scaling (which broke interlacing, IIRC)
and xdpyinfo reported a different size to the one in the config file.
I'll give your setting a shot when I get a chance, though.

  Out of curiosity, do you find that xdpyinfo reports the correct
display size?

	Robert