[mythtv] More ideas on PostgreSQL support, comments welcome

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Tue Aug 31 21:45:36 EDT 2004

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with MythTV code at all, but I have
experience with projects that are mostly database independent.

Dynamic query re-writing is just a bad idea, it shouldn't be difficult
to make the SQL queries portable. It may take some work initially if
MythTV has used a lot of non-standard MySQL'isms, but after that is
done, writing portable SQL queries isn't hard at all.

The hardest part about supporting multiple databases is almost always
schema creation/updating. Updating usually being the most difficult. A
possible solution is to use the XMLSchema (http://adodb-
xmlschema.sourceforge.net/docs/ ) library that comes with ADODB.

Simply write your schema in XML once, and filter it through XMLSchema
and it will automatically write the SQL statements to create/upgrade the
currently in-use schema to match the XML schema file, regardless of the
database type. The drawback is ADODB is PHP, so PHP would be required to
do this. However it could be a part of the "build system" so you don't
have to make PHP a requirement for all installations. Each time the
schema changes, simply run a small script, and have it automatically
save the resulting SQL to a mysql or pgsql specific file. I'm sure it
could all be automated quite easily, with only the "build system"
requiring PHP.

It would be very nice to get my MythTV box off MySQL, table corruption
starts to get very annoying after a while.

Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>