[mythtv] mythtranscode -> avi

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Thu Aug 19 20:34:31 EDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:16:22 -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > I assume you want to translate from mpeg4-nuv->divx (or some other
> > mpeg4 container) right?
>
> Correct.  Though the more I think about it, I wonder if simply
> demultiplexing would work (if there's a way to keep the timecodes in
> place) -- though I'll admit that I have no idea if it would then be
> easier for something else to remultiplex the files, or just have
> mythtranscode give me an avi.

I thought that the whole point of providing raw (fully decoded)
streams was to supply something that other tools can read.  Keepint
the timestamp data would be a pain, and in general changing the
container without changing the stream is something that needs to be
done either by mythtranscode, or by some tool that can read nuv.

> > That last bit is what makes doing container modifications difficult.
> > Basically, we can't get frame-level accuracy around cut-points in any
> > other container except NUV.  I've looked at lots of options, and they
> > are all pretty messy (the one I finally settled on was the easiest at
> > the time, though perhaps not, in the end, the best choice)
>
> Ok.  This probably explains why I've had so much trouble with other
> programs that claim to be able to handle nuv files (although not why
> there are problems with files that haven't had their commercials removed).

the micro-jump stuff should only apply to things that have gone
through commercial cutting.  So it really shouldn't be hard to decode
an nuv that didn't go through it.  But of course I have no input in
what other projects do.

> > So, I guess I'm saying that it isn't someting I'll have time for, or
> > see much need for.  But I guess you knew that already.
>
> Well, I hope that someone else will step forward (if it's even feasible
> to do so).  It would make archiving shows a lot more feasible for those
> of us without the fancy mpeg2 encoder cards (granted, I'm probably
> getting one of them soon, too, now that Gavin has figured out how to
> cleanly remove the commercials).

I hadn't seen anything about that.  Can you provide me a link?  This
has been on my todo list forever, and I just haven't had time to get
it working right.  But if someone else has it working, I might be able
to shoehorn their solution into mythtranscode (assuming it's not
already).

> Thanks for the info, though.  I've been running under the assumption
> that it would be a quick patch to save things into an avi instead of an
> nuv, and it's obviously more complicated.

Yes, it is not a trivial thing, or I probably would have done it when
it was originally requested a long time ago.

.Geoff