[mythtv] Multi-user option

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Apr 30 06:14:37 EDT 2004

Eric A. Litman wrote:

>>Suggestions?
>>

>It seems like a shortcut method to implementing this would be to create an
>authentication interface that would switches to a role-based theme for each
>authenticated user. This way, you could simply modify the UI through XML for
>each set of users without getting into anything complex like ACLs for UI
>elements.
>
>One approach would be to extend the existing theme structure through the
>creation
>of a shallow hierarchy of directories in each theme's directory, perhaps
>looking
>something like the following:
>
>    .../themes/G.A.N.T./
>    .../themes/G.A.N.T./roles/
>    .../themes/G.A.N.T./roles/default/
>    .../themes/G.A.N.T./roles/default/*.xml
>    .../themes/G.A.N.T./roles/admin/
>    .../themes/G.A.N.T./roles/admin/*.xml
>    .
>    .
>    .
>
>Using a model like this, it would be fairly easy to create a set of tools
>for defining and managing roles automatically based upon existing themes.

..Or you could create multiple "home directories" and then arrange for
the main frontscreen to fire up myth using the correct home dir, hence
picking up the correct themes.

It wouldn't neccessarily need to be a proper login, for example just
change the HOME variable and fire up the main exe.

However, I do agree that having the backend being security aware would
be an advantage.  This way you can give your kid a mythfrontend box and
know that there was some security being enforced on the main box, not
just on their box.  Perhaps the first step is just to add "context" to
each frontend when they connect to the backend.  This would also be
useful for doing stuff like making it possible to fireup multiple
frontends (with different features) on a single box, eg for multi-room
installations (not easy to do if the context is just connecting ip address).

Nice idea

Ed W