[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Sat Apr 24 13:03:50 EDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:27:56AM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > I'm not grokking this.  Care to explain further?
>
> Weren't you the one who modified the menus so that if there was only
> a single column of items (like gant), that it would select the item
> if you pushed right?

Yes, that was me.

> So, pushing right acted as if you hit select.  The program finder
> works (or worked) the same way -- pushing right from the rightmost of the 3
> columns acted as if you were hitting select.

Ah, OK.  I look at it a little differently.  I see right acting as
SELECT iff there is only action that can be taken, otherwise, right
acts like MENU.  The idea is to allow menu navigation and common tasks
to be down with just the arrow keys and SELECT(*).  Advanced tasks and
dialogs, etc. would still need the MENU, INFO and EXIT keys.

(*)I'm selfish since my remote has a 5-way joypad and I don't have to
move my thumb.

> Basically, there's precedence in the UI for having the right arrow
> from a list act as select, not menu or some other action.  Having
> the playback selection screen act differently doesn't make any
> sense.

That behavior still fits with my view -- one action = SELECT, multiple
actions = MENU.

David
--
David Engel