[mythtv] PATCH: Don't hilight the selection in an inactive list

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Fri Apr 23 21:13:24 EDT 2004

Ben Levitt wrote:

>--- Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
>>Yes, anything could be changed in any way but you
>>indicated that the problem you wanted to resolve was
>>it didn't look good in visor. I think the solution
>>that problem would be to adjust the visor colors.
>>the behavior of the playbox is a different issue.
>I guess the original problem was that it wasn't super
>obvious which column had focus, yes.  However, after
>changing things so that the right doesn't show a
>selection if the left has focus, I now feel a little
>uncomfortable performing actions on something that
>doesn't look like it's selected.  So that's my new
>problem.  :]

Try the most recent playbackbox.  It differentiates between the left and
right sides.

>>But you do know in saying this that it is less
>>convenient and
>>not more convenient. So I don't think this makes
>>things better.
>True, right now we have the shortcut that lets you act
>upon the first item in a list by acting upon the whole
>list. So it's true that it's faster, but to me it
>feels a little odd.  When I hit Enter on a Category, I
>expect to end up inside it, not immediately playing
>the first thing in it.  (Maybe I just want the default
>action for items in the left column to be "Move
That's what it is in the new version.

>>One thing I've always thought is that when you enter
>>the playbox,
>>the focus should maybe initially be on the right. I
>>often (and you
>>may too ;-) click Watch Recording and mindlessly
>>start pressing
>>down only to find that I'm not going down the titles
>>rather then
>>the All list. I grumble then go back up, right, then
>That's a good call.  That happens to me all the time.

And it also solves the problem of having too hit two keys for what used
to be one (playing the first item in the first group that came up).

>>If the focus started on the right, the user would
>>only need to
>>press enter once to start playback. I wouldn't mind
>>a change to
>>Enter on the left as much then but I still think
>>seeing descriptions
>>while focus is left is a Good Thing.
>With all this in mind, I think my ideal would be:
> - Start with focus in the right
With the most recent change I checked in this cane be done.

> - When focus is in the left, make the default action
>be "change focus to the right"
This is in

> - When we're focused on the left, the episode-title,
>subtitle, and description should be greyed out to
>match the episodes in the right-hand column
When we're on the left that stuff doesn't even show up.  Instead there's
a new container that contains the recording group name, display group
name and a short description something like:

"Sci-Fi  -  Stargate
There are 12 recordings in this display group"

>I certainly don't want to slow down the interface.
>But I feel like this might actually speed people up,
>since it would be slightly easier to tell what's going
If you set it so that the focus starts on the right it doesn't slow
things down at all.  The clear differentiation between the left and
right looks a lot cleaner too.