[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Apr 16 18:01:46 EDT 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Well, even in the US, while it's true that callsigns are assigned by the
> FCC, that may not help in all cases.  For instance, let's say my local
> ABC affiliate station, (FCC ID: WPVI), also broadcasts a digital
> channel, (FCC ID: WPVI-D).  As far as the FCC is concerned, these are
> two different channels with different callsigns.  But what if they
> broadcast the same programming?  Then I need to go into my channel
> setup and manually give them the same callsign, probably "WPVI".

Good example. When using a grabbers that fills these in,
it is only filled when the entry is first created. Once the
row exists, you can edit the callsign however you'd like and
the grabber doesn't care (if the grabber never fills callsign
then it certainly doesn't care if you change it ;-).

This was the problem with early attmpts to do channel matching
with xmltvid. You cannot change it or the grabber will barf.
As you saw in my "KVBC" example, the xmltvid did not match for
the same station and I couldn't do anything about it.

With callsigns, you could change WPVI-D to WPVI so that myth
can record a show on analog when the digital input is needed
for something else. On the other hand, I could decide that I
want to record The Apprentice in digital or not at all so I
can change 2123 to "KVBC-D" if that's what I want.

> Yes, this process is facilitated in the US by the fact that we don't
> have to make up identifiers, but in the end everyone (US-based users
> included) will probably need to do a little tweaking.

Yes, agreed.

>   This is about enabling the functionality in Myth; how you
> choose to use it is up to  you.

Right. Thanks Joesph,

--  bjm