[mythtv] MythMusic maintainer?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 30 23:57:28 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 21:47, thor wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2003 09:30 pm, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > Is there a current maintainer/owner of the MythMusic module?  The
> > AUTHORS file points to Isaac as the main author.
>
> 	that would be me.
>

> > I'm asking because I'm interested in making the following fairly
> > massive changes involving replacing the current 'treelist' with
> > multiple tree's all keyed off of different metadata attributes
> > (author, genre, album, year, alumb cover).  I also would like to
> > integrate album cover artwork into to UI to make it look more like
> > an electronic jukebox.  I want to make sure there is not current
> > work in progress for such mods, and get a general feel for the
> > acceptance of such mods (should I make a completely different
> > module?)
>
> 	code away. =)
>
> 	You could write something from scratch (a la mythweb2) or patch onto
> the existing code base. In the latter case, you probably want Setup
> options for the user to be able to choose between old and new
> interfaces.
>
> 	A couple of random notes:
>
> 	 The GenericTree object could really use methods to dynamically add
> and remove sub-trees. And the destructor should be fully recursive
> (I'm pretty sure there's a small memory leak in how it's done now).
>
> 	You probably want to be on #mythtv on irc chat if you're doing any
> significant amount of development work.
>
> 	Keep things nice and modular if you're designing your own objects.
> I'm working on some low level stuff which should (if I ever finish
> it) make frontend clients/dialogs much cleaner, but it will require a
> fair bit of retooling.
>
> - thor

Just another comment... it's something I've been meaning to look into, but if
you're going to do a major overhaul...

One of the drawbacks of MythMusic as it is now is the way it handles the tree
list in the playback view (UIManagedTreeList, I think).  I think only
MythMusic uses this widget (well, I think MythVideo recently started using it
too, but I digress).  Anyway, for a really large playlist, it takes a long
time to build the list GUI, because it has so many items.  I wanted to look
into an alternate approach that has been used by my company in the past.
Basically, a list widget class that, instead of building all the items as
list item objects, it just creates the *visible* list items, and changes
their contents to reflect the current window into the data set.  In this way
we could reduce memory requirements and provide a much-needed speed boost.

What say ye?

-JAC