[mythtv] Caller ID

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Wed Sep 17 13:01:55 EDT 2003

Yes the sender is complete. I started with your cidbcast but very little of
it remains. The sender still retains the cidbcast name and the UDP send code
is the same. However the utility runs 24/7 like a daemon instead of
one-shot.

Reasons I didn't end up reusing your existing stuff:

1) I wanted my design to interface directly to a caller id modem. Your
design requires the user to apply a patch to the 'mgetty' package. I didn't
want that.

2) Your design created an XML telephone event structure that was specific to
caller id and would require myth to understand that structure. I wanted a
generic notify capability that works with stuff other than caller id and
doesn't require any knowledge on the mythtv side (minimize coupling). My
design creates a <mythnotify> XML structure than can allow any
container/textarea to be updated that exists within an OSD theme.

3) Your design hardcoded the XML structure in the cidbcast program, mine
reads it from a file and replaces keywords. This allows changing the XML
structure without changing the program.

4) My design wanted command line argument of all parameters (change the UDP
port # (--udp_port=xxxx), change the broadcat address
(--bcast=192.168.1.255), etc.

5) With this design, anyone could generate and send a <mythnotify> structure
for their own purposes.