[mythtv] FileSystem to use for Myth

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue Sep 16 01:28:23 EDT 2003

David Muench wrote:

>Both have survived numerous hard power offs (the northeast blackout for
>one) and always comes back up without skipping a beat.

In my case, the nvidia graphics card (driver?) locked up every time I
logged out of X and gdm restarted X. So, I had maybe 100 hard crashes in
a week. During that time, I repeatedly lost a few files that have been
written right before I logged off, e.g. Mozilla bookmarks.

What Renchi wrote makes sense to me, matches my experience. I just don't
think it's a good idea to rely data integrity on UPS *and* stable
hardware *and* that the kernel won't lock up or that apps are written
"sanely".
Other than these occasional few files lost, XFS has been stable for me,
and I have it under heavy use (recompiling / copying / deleting Mozilla
source all the time, user data, huge filesystems etc.).

Back ontopic, I haven't had a single problem with my MythTV recordings
on XFS. And it definitely doesn't show the slow-deletion problem that
others reported for other filesystems.

Ben

P.S. move to -users?