[mythtv] FileSystem to use for Myth (was Re:Channel change sp eed)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Mon Sep 15 18:54:29 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 04:58:56PM -0400, Kendrick Vargas wrote:

> The 2.4 kernels are lacking a number of vfs layer features that would make
> a XFS port complete. XFS is supposedly gonna be the cause of a massive
> filesystem overhaul in 2.6 because of the requirements it has for proper
> operation. So... just keep that in mind if you're running this on a 2.4
> kernel :-)

There is no more future tense when talking about 2.6 architectural changes;
2.6.0-test* are here, and any overhaul that hasn't been done already isn't
going to go into 2.6.

That said, I have no data on whether XFS in 2.6 works well, or whether any
such changes were in fact made.

> Also, keep in mind that XFS was developed specifically because SGI needed
> to be able to move around and handle large media files in it's rendering
> farms. So it's been developed with this application in mind :-)

This is true.  But it was also designed with a different operating system in
mind, which is probably why it's taken such a long time to mature on Linux.

--
 - mdz