[mythtv] DVB Alpha-0.5

Mon Sep 15 20:26:21 EDT 2003

It sounds great. But given the issues involved why not do this in two steps?

Unless we are making things worse, then I would have thought that we take one step forward now, and then this leaves you free to change the code to fit the new DB structure.

Otherwise you are trying to put a patch on something that Kenneth is writing.  I think this will be easier to do if he were to commit current state first?

Anyway, whatever, just an idea..

Please feel free to send me your ideas.  I would be interested to see your DB schema, but I don't have too much experience with satellites

Ed W

-----Original Message-----
From: Steele Price [mailto:steele at xtcp.net]
Sent: 15 September 2003 19:03
To: Development of mythtv
Subject: RE: [mythtv] DVB Alpha-0.5

I see a small problem with commiting this to CVS. The database structure
and lack of Diseqc control.  For anyone using DVB-S this is a really big
problem.

I have been working on a more reasonable table structure for dvb_channels,
PIDS do not belong there in a flat structure, same with diseqc. Also SLOF,
LOF_HI and LOF_LO need to be set for each LNB.  Is there some reason we
cannot normalize this database more?

I have the preliminary structure done, and want to discuss it with the
community when it is a little more refined (a day or two). Its a fairly
hefty change and I don't know how well received it is going to be but, IMO
it's essential to do this for DVB-S.  Channels change constantly on
satellite, not just every couple months, they change almost daily.  Also
we need channel searching like normal satboxes have.  Then there is the
problem of linking the EPG in.  on Satellite it is not cut and dry,
especially for FTA stuff, we could have the same channel on 4 different
sats.  All the channel info is there in xmltv, but it's not organized in a
useful way for the satellite enthusiast.  There should be a way to link
channels (and there is in my structure) in a normalized fashion to the
channels table without alot of pain.  This means that there needs to be
some changes in mythfilldatabase to handle this as well.  What I mean is
this, we can pull xmltv info from say dishnet/direcpc but use it on
channels on a different sat.  This means we may be pulling grab_tv_na from
more than one source, in the current implementation I don't see an easy
way to achieve that.

I have planned to contribute heavily to this development, but if it's just
going to get rejected out of hand, why bother, so hopefully this can be
discussed ad-nauseum before it gets implemented.  I'd like to see a real
solution that works worldwide and takes large configurations (like up to
12 lnbs) into consideration.

I am working on several parts of this right now and want to know that I am
not wasting my time.  If you want this as a seperate database, please say
so because the current implementation just won't work.

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamshop
http://xtcp.net