[mythtv] 'recommendations' section

Michael J. Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Sun Sep 14 22:32:07 EDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 03:24:24PM -0500, Kirby Vandivort wrote:
> It's not the worst idea i've ever heard.  As I was trying to implement
> such a thing, I ran into a roadblock, though..  It's not quite the same
> as email.  For email, you have a corpus that can clearly be defined as
> 'this is spam' or 'this is not spam'.  We don't really have an equivalent
> thing in (current) myth.  You have a 'this is a good show' and 'these
> are other shows'.  We can't really say accurately that every show that is
> on that wasn't recorded is something that the user doesn't want to see.

You're right, in that there is no corpus of things you don't want to
see. Instead, you have an (admittedly smaller) corpus of things you DO
want to see.

To try and phrase it differently (and assuming I'm understanding
Bayesian filtering), Bayesian filtering gives you a probability that
item A fits into bucket B.

So, what I'm getting at, is look at the old recorded table, and use that
to generate a listing (I'd base the filtering on title and description
only, though), and make a new table which has the probabilities you want
to store. Update it daily (make it part of the mythfilldatabase cron job).

Remember, with the application in email, you're filtering out things you
DON'T want to see. That leaves the set you DO want to see. If the
Bayesian filters are reflexive (if I'm using the word correctly), then
you can construct the filter to look at what you DO want to see, based
on the oldrecorded table. Oh, and make sure to have a bucket in as part
of the mix which says "I've suggested this to the user, and they
rejected it."

I guess a (slightly better?) way of looking at it would be that the spam
bucket is empty at the start, but the good bucket isn't. The good bucket
being, of course, the oldrecorded table. Am I making any sense, or am I
just babbling away at random? I'll be quiet now...

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My Jabber ID: pedersen at jabber.org.uk
My GnuPG KeyID: 6CB0A96C       My Public Key Available At: www.keyserver.net
My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: E8F0 920F EB2F 7FDE DF4E  23CC 2CEB 8E6F 6CB0 A96C