[mythtv] Re: i'm willing to help...

Bruno David Simões Rodrigues bruno.rodrigues at litux.org
Fri Sep 12 21:58:15 EDT 2003

A Sex, 2003-09-12 às 20:26, Stefan Frank escreveu:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> support is always welcome. Read the howto below, and ask if you have
> further questions.

Daniel, if you need help I'm available.
I'm not an "oficial" developer, but I've been patching the code to be
fully translatable and have been translating to Portuguese.

> >...but as i'm not a programmer, i only can offer help in translating
> >some modules to german. so, i can edit the .ts file, but how can i
> >generate a .qm file for testing?
>
> It's recommended to use linguist, a the qt devel tool.
> Install qt3-linguist if you use debian unstable.

Indeed, nice tool for translations, too bad QT had to "create" a new
tool for translations. This way is hard to share work with .po style
translations. (I'm waiting for new kbabel with .ts support in Debian)

> > i want to test the stuff, before i
> >commit it. how can this be done? and then, if it's done, should i commit
> >only the .ts file? sorry for those stupid questions ;-)
>
> Afaik you need to compile myth from source in order to use your updated
> translations. Once you are finished just send a patch for an existing
> .ts file to the -dev list.

You don't need to recompile everything. You just need to do "lrelease
translate.pro" inside i18n directory and copy those .qm to your
installation.

Daniel: you also need to translate .xml files. Find every *xml* file and
add/finish <value lang="DE"...> tags to it.

(Note: i18n = changing code to be translatable, l10n = translating)

Module status:

mythgallery: fully i18n'ed

mythvideo: fully i18n'ed, but run lupdate before translating

mythmusic: fully i18n'ed except two strings which are in the "wrong
place", you can translate them without problem because when my patch is
commited you'll just need to accept the changes in linguist

mythweather: fully i18n'ed except one string ("PAUSED")

mythdvd: not fully i18n'ed, my patch for full i18n is waiting to be
commited

mythtv: not fully i18n'ed, but almost done in my local repository

mythgame: I'm working now on it now, just started

mythweb: I've already started i18n'ing it, I hope you have nothing
against gettext and .po files (php4 supports gettext)

external modules:

mythnews: I'm gonna start i18n'ing this one after mythgame and finishing
mythtv. It works ok to me.

mythbrowser: downloaded, haven't started it yet. (Note: can't it be a
.so library instead of a kde application?)

mythradio: uh ? I haven't yet looked at mailing lists for radio
discussions but I've already looked at radio cmd line from xawtv ;)

regards,