[mythtv] MythTV DVB Implementation (What's needed & What's not)

Steele Price steele at xtcp.net
Fri Sep 12 10:48:56 EDT 2003

the insisted dependdence on using xmltv is a huge problem on North American
Satellite.
All you get from tv_grab_na is a choice between dish, directv (both which
would need the ability do get encrypted channels) or c-band.  unless I
completely missed something, 99% of the free to air channels are in Ku and
not available from xmltv.  It would be really nice if we could map the
channels obtained from xmltv into real dvb channels that we are able to get,
like grab "FX East" from the dishnet listings and map it to the correct
dvb_channel entry, this ability is there in the database obviously but the
mapping needs to be implemented somewhere in the setup.  These channels
change quite often actually, they are shifted around and moved in frequency
by both dishnet and directv so mapping by channel name is really the only
option, obviously completely different animal than EU Sat, or -T or -C
setups.

Similarly, there is going to be a major difference in the use of diseqcs,
different people are going to have different needs, some only use one fixed
bird, while others have multiple fixed and motor controlled dishes.  This
mapping of channels really is a big deal on sat so please don't take it
lightly, not only is it a big deal, it's a giant pain in the butt to keep
reconfiguring it without at least having a big map of what is available from
somewhere.

General users don't want to go out on a frequency treasure hunt, they just
want to say, I get that channel on sat # xyz and it's on my 3rd diseqc port.
If someone will assist me in this we can pull most of it from satcodx, while
they don't have everything, they do have alot and it's a hell of alot easier
to grab that data over the net than parsing lyngsat.  Lyngsat has some
channels listed that satcodx doesn't and vice-versa so checking both might
be beneficial, though I believe that satcodx is better as a single source.
Using Satcodx codes for the unique ID of each sat would be beneficial and at
least help conform to some worldwide standard.

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamhop
http://xtcp.net