[mythtv] Re:Channel change speed

Fri Sep 12 16:28:05 EDT 2003

> > Well, it was just a thought.  Since people mentioned that it took a while
> > to shut down the last session on channel change I wondered if it was
> > something to do with the time needed to remove the buffer file from disk.
> > Ext3 at least with certain journalling takes a few secs to delete large
> > files (presumbaly updating the bitmap).  I believe that Reiser isn't great
> > with large files either, but I don't run it so have no experience...
>
> Reiserfs has extent mapping, and handles large files much faster.

Sounds good.  Perhaps I shouldn't have just formatted my big partition in ext3....  I do notice that deleting large files, eg 1-2 GB mpg takes a good few secs under ext3

It's also very slow to handle the gentoo portage database which is pretty much just 60,000 small files chucked into a hierarchical directory structure.  Not sure if reiserfs would be faster here since it's basically a directory enumeration task, however, I plan to try a loop back partition with reiserfs to see.

Actually, good point, I suppose anyone interested in benchmarking changes to the ringbuffer could try using a loopback filesystem to see if reiser/ext3 (with options)/or a ram disk makes a difference.  No need to actually blow away the disk to try this.