[mythtv] MythNews 0.1

Philippe C. Cattin cattin at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 8 11:48:24 EDT 2003

Dane,

> Has anyone thought about developing a MythBrowser kinda thing.... with
> similiar functionality to browsing on a webtv?  It seems like it would be
> fairly easy for someone to do by modifying mozilla to use a "bigger" UI?

I'm currently working on this, however it is not a mythplugin but a
small KDE application (i.e you have to start it with EXEC instead of
PLUGIN). The sole reason for this beeing that I couldn't get all the Qt
slots of khtmlpart matched.

As I already mentioned, it is a tiny KDE/Qt application that displays
webpages in full-screen mode (no boarders, no menus). Some keys are
remapped so that you can jump from link to link (curser left/right),
select a link (return) and scroll through a document
(up/down/pageup/pagedown) by using the remote control only. And last but
not least, ESC quits the application. I thought of adding an additional
key to quickly jump from one frame to the other in multi-framed pages.

Currently I have the following open issues with the program:

- When I exit a multiframe page I normaly get signal 11 (I guess  it is
because I exit the application from within an eventFilter... However,
mythfrontend is not affected by this.

- flash plugins displayed on the webpage are not always killed when exiting.

- postdata dosn't work yet.

- screen dimensions still hard coded.

Always keep in mind, that this is my first KDE/Qt programm (which is
actualy just a spiced up kdetutorial sample). In fact I have no idea
what I was actualy doing nor why it partially works; but if people are
interrested I can post my alpha version on the list in a day or two.

regards, Philippe