[mythtv] high level view of project

Jason Donmoyer jaydonmoyer at comcast.net
Thu Oct 30 20:53:48 EST 2003

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating several PVR/Media convergence projects like MythTV
for my own personal use and have some general questions before jumping in.
If anyone can fill in with some answers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Being a developer myself, I'm curious about the underlying architecture.
Anyone have some general info regarding some of the assumptions behind
MythTV?  What's the mechanism for adding functionality (plugins, modifying
base code, etc)?

I can't seem to view the CVS from the web this evening, so I'm curious what
the bulk of the software is written in.

What's the best way to make full use of Comcast digital cable.. to use the
set top box, or bypass it completely (if this is the case, anyone have any
experience about which tuner cards work best for such a setup?)?

Is there current/planned support to manage playlists and stream audio to
other computers (of varying OS's, preferably controlled from the server...
I'm thinking something like slimp3 (www.slimdevices.com) but with additional
functionality) without the need for running a 'mythtv frontend'?

Thanks for the insights,
Jason Donmoyer