[mythtv] Filter interface change proposal, working on patch.

Thu Oct 23 16:57:57 EDT 2003

> I plan to have a bttv card and a pchdtv card in one machine, which
> will also be a frontend.

I read the rest of your email, but I have to ask.  Why not just get two pchdtv cards?

You argument (removed for brevity) is absolutely correct, but only if you are recording from an analogue source.

My point was only that, *I* was pretty happy with low res quality from a bttv card, especially if I had been able to run the denoise filter.  Bumping the quality up to 720x576 is not a huge quality difference (well actually on my card it did, but on my card recording on high res and then rescaling down was better quality than simply recording on low quality ... I assume my drivers have an issue...?)

However, if you belong to the "hifi" crowd, or you want low cpu usage, then there really is a step change by going up to the PVR/dvb/hdtv cards.  It's not a subtle difference.

So I think there are two classes of user here.  Those who want super high quality, and those on a budget (plus those who have no choice...)  In the UK, DVB cards are £60, which is not much more than a bttv card, and so although I have a bttv card I haven't even bother to plug it in.  I have a P2.8, but I've still taken the bttv out of  the machine and put in a second DVB card because of the low CPU use and much higher quality....

So to recap: For those at home thinking about using Myth, you get a *really nice system* using just a cheap bttv card, especially if you are just viewing the output on a TV.  However, if you are looking to fill a huge tv/plasma/projector, or you want low cpu usage, then look for the PVR/dvb/hdtv cards.