[mythtv] Filter interface change proposal, working on patch.

Thu Oct 23 12:09:34 EDT 2003

> Remember it's not just people running older machines, get a pcHDTV card, and
> you won't have enough free cpu to be able to encode anymore even on cutting
> edge stuff.

Perhaps I missed the point, but remember that pcHDTV is not being encoded by the local machine.  Basically you are receiving an mpeg transmitted over the air.  The PC needs only grab the stream from the card and save to the HD (and apply minor postprocessing to the stream due to the way the mpeg is transmitted)

For DVB, which is similar, but usually only at 720x576 resolution.  Users have had good results recording multiple programs and simultaneously playing them back on a P2-266Mhz machine.  Some people have even managed with a P90, but there is usually skipping with such a slow machine.  (Note the decoding is being done in hardware by the DVB card)

However, for sure, the effort required to decode is significant with HDTV, it's a VERY big picture

I would tentatively suggest that it would be worth optimising filters primarily towards the mpeg cards.  The point is that those who are looking for high quality output are likely to be using one of these already (ie DVB, HDTV, and PVR250 users).  People with bttv cards will already be using a pretty high spec machine and are likely to be running out of juice on all reasonable hardware (as of today) if trying to do 720x576 mpeg4 recordings, plus filters on the playback.  Just a thought.

Sounds great though Andrew!  I'm looking forward to a decent de-interlacer being incorporated in myth.  Good luck!

Ed W