[mythtv] Backtrace: Segfault playing back mpeg2

Kenneth Aafloy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Thu Oct 16 18:50:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 23:38, Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> Using CVS from a few hours ago I had the following segfault when playing
> back a recording.
>
> I'm guessing that a corrupt mpeg stream could be a factor?  The recording
> source was a DVB card (haven't tried mplayer on this stream).
>
> Can anyone make anything useful out of this backtrace?

It's because the detection of video parameters failed, and AVCodec got
parameters that is out of whack. If we could get the detection code in
AVFormatDecoder to hurry decoding packets, and check whether following
packets have the same parameters, it would catch all but the extreme
cases. This would also go for the audio detection, but I have not seen
any huge problems with it for a while (it does not segv if it gets the
wrong parameters anyway). I don't see this at my setup, because I've got
a fairly strong signal, which only breaks up a tiny bit on a few
channels in heavy rain. I'm working on other things at the moment, but
anyone who is up for it....

Kenneth