[mythtv] Dual tuners, LiveTV, why must LiveTV always be interrupted?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 14:44:00 EDT 2003

Bruce,

This is another interesting idea, and I'll try to hack
it up.  I guess in the end, it defers to Isaac, since
it is his program.

Mainly (as I've explained), I'm looking to be able to
watch LiveTV on one card (for instance, the baseball
playoffs are on), and be able to have recordings at
the same time get sent to another card (I really like
Married With Children, but I'd rather have that record
than the baseball game).  Whether this is automatic,
or I get the dialog box telling me the recording is
starting, I honestly don't care, as long as there is a
way to have it record on another card, so that I can
watch the baseball game uninterrupted (i.e. without
having to drop back to the main menu, waiting 30
seconds and then entering LiveTV mode).

But yes, logically, you are correct - the scheduler
seems to want to start recordings with cardid 1, so
moving LiveTV to cardid 2 (in my case, since I have
two tuners) would free up cardid 1 for recording.
Also, then I'm not adding round-robin scheduling for
tuners, and it also prevents the conflicts that were
brought to my attention.

I think I'll keep a copy of what I have, go back to my
CVS pull and try implementing this.  At the very
least, if I get it to work, then I have two possible
ways of doing things.

The only thing that I can think of with your
suggestion that doesn't seem right is ignoring the
hostname details (I haven't looked at this code, so I
might be wrong here) - I don't use multple backends
myself (I have everything on one PC), but I can see a
situation where somebody might prefer one backend over
another for LiveTV.

Certainly anybody with thoughts on this matter is more
than willing to make suggestions.

-- Joe