[mythtv] Compiling tips on Debian Unstable

Ray maillists at sonictech.net
Fri Oct 10 17:29:06 EDT 2003

Short version:

I just updated from Debian Stable to Unstable and I'm having some problems.
I would like to know if there are any hints (gcc versions to avoid etc).

Long version:

I recently (Monday the 6th) upgraded my Debian Stable (Woody) box to
Unstable so I could compile MythMusic.  I also took the opportunity to
upgrade to the 0.11 version of MythTV etc.  Well, MythMusic is working fine
now but MythTV is acting up a bit.  Some of my recordings seem to play most
of the way through and then freeze mythfrontend.  Sometimes but not allways
just before it freezes the video appears to speed up a bit and/or the audio
gets out of sync with the video.  I also have a couple of recordings that
work just fine as long as I don't attempt to fast forward or rewind.  The
problems seem to be isolated to certain recordings but not necessarily ones
that have been recorded since the upgrades.  The machine had been pretty
solid up until this latest round of updates.  It looks like I have lots of
options for different versions of gcc etc on this version of Debian and I'm
not even sure at this point which version is being used (both 2.95 and 3.3
are installed).  Any tips for the "right" combination of gcc, qt libs etc
for this setup before I start attacking the other possibilities (slightly
broken Alsa drivers etc)?

--
Ray