[mythtv] Dual tuners, LiveTV, why must LiveTV always be interrupted?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 00:12:29 EDT 2003

Hey all,

I've been looking into the MythTV code tonight, trying
to figure out a nice way to get it to handle dual
tuners with LiveTV and recording in a better manner.

Currently, if I'm watching a show on channel 2, but
then a show is scheduled for recording on channel 4,
rather than recording on the free tuner, MythTV pops
up the dialog box in effect asking me to stop watching
TV so that I can do the recording.

I guess this question is mainly aimed at Isaac, but
where should I look to fix this?  I've been playing
around in tv_play.cpp and tv_rec.cpp, without much
success.  I have been able to do a GET_FREE_RECORDER
query and MythTV sees the second tuner card, but if I
change the ASK_RECORDING query to use the free card,
rather than continuing on the same channel while
recording, it immediately switches to the new channel
without popping up the dialog box.

Ideas and suggestions are appreciated, as I try to
implement this fix.

-- Joe