[mythtv] Auto-Off Feature

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Nov 23 22:44:49 EST 2003

> The basic logic that I have come up with as follows: The PC will now
> startup a few minutes before the next program is due to be recorded.
> Once the show has finished
> recording, it will calculate the next wakeup time, set the CMOS alarm
> and switch the PC off.

Nice idea.  However, how do you get at the machine to schedule
recordings, etc?   I usually do that via mythweb, at pretty random times
of day.  That would mean that I'd have to walk out to my living room,
turn on the myth box, walk back to my office and run mythweb,
remembering to shut the myth box down when I was done.  Not to mention
the trouble I'd have if I was on vacation and forgot to set something up
to record.  (ie. not a solution for me, but I run a small cluster in my
basement that's always on, and my myth box is an uber-quiet pundit)

On that note, though, adding in some power saving features might be nice
- spin down the hard drive, etc.

-Chris