[mythtv] MythTV backend/frontend protocol question

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sun Nov 23 16:42:44 EST 2003

> On Saturday 22 November 2003 02:14 pm, Torbjörn Jansson wrote:
> > What happends to the ringbuffer when the channel is
> changed? Is it reset so
> > the data restarts from the begining of the file? (That's
> what it looks
> > like) Is there any way of setting the channel before
> sending "SPAWN_LIVETV"
> > ?
>
> Essentially, the buffer gets nulled out, but it doesn't completely
> re-initialize the player, as I've pretty much said that .nuv
> can't change
> format mid-stream.  'Course, that may have to change at some point
> (transcoding from mpeg-2, for instance).  Can't you just make
> the filter seek
> to the 0 position?  Should be fine that way.

That might work.
The problem is that I want to make the solution a generic one that works
with any directshow filter.
The source filter don't care about what the data is, that’s up to the
spliter filter that it is connected to, so the file coud be a nupplevideo
file or a mpeg2 file and changing channels shoud work on both.
I think I'll have to do some more testing.

> > During the development I have been able to make the backend
> crash a number
> > of times, for example:
> > * Sending the command "DONE".
> > * Trying to change channel when livetv is not started.
> > * Terminating the program that accesses the backend at the
> wrong time. I
> > asume that the backend don't like having the sockets closed
> and/or geting
> > socket errors at the wrong time.
>
> Backtraces would be cool.

I'll see what I can do.