[mythtv] Preview of a new theme

Tobias Blomberg blomman at ludd.luth.se
Sun Nov 16 05:47:23 EST 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 20.05, Oscar Carlsson wrote:

> >> The  strings are to long. Better would be "Musikinställningar".. It
> >> already says "Spelinställningar"..  Would  be  nice  if you could look
> >> at those. In the music settings, it also says "Inställningar för ..."
> >> wich also is way to long.
> >>
> >> "Filminställningar" and "Väderinställningar" would also be better.
>
> TB> This was my first thought as well. The problem is "Väderinställningar"
> TB> (=Weather Settings); it is not the weather we are setting up (I wish I
> could TB> some times ;-), it is the weather viewer. It just sounds bad and
> it is not TB> correct. The same thing could be said for
> "Musikinställningar" (=Music TB> Settings) and "Filminställningar" (=Movie
> Settings), but these are not as bad TB> as the "weather settings" thing. As
> for "Spelinställningar" (=Game Settings) TB> it actually is the games we
> are setting up so this is correct. Well, hmmm, if TB> I think about it,
> it's actually the game engines we are setting up...
>
> TB> And the "Inställningar för..." (=Settings for...); if we would change
> it to TB> "Avspelningsinställningar" (=Playback Settings), this word is too
> long for TB> the default theme, which is my reference. However, if it is
> split as above, TB> Myth will automatically insert a row break which make
> it look nice again.
>
> TB> And also, have you checked out how the other translations look in your
> theme ? TB> The translated strings are almost always longer than in
> English.
>
> TB> As you can see, it is not a trivial problem :-/
>
> What  about  just  using  "MythMusic", "MythVideo" and so on in the
> settings? Or just  make it look the same as the main screen, with my theme
> it's quite obvious that you're at the setup screen..

Then all themes would have to be modified so that it is obvious that you're in
the setup screen. In most of them, it's not. Maybe if there were a
(translatable) string like "Settings for:" that could be placed just above
the menu items. This would make it obvious. Might be hard to make it look
good in some themes though (?).

> Experimenting  with  having  six  items  that  is  very  wide  to allow for
> long translated strings. I'll see how it feels.

Ok

/ Tobias