[mythtv] Suggestion wrt 16:9 sets and zoom

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Fri Nov 14 04:56:13 EST 2003

Hi,

Dare I make a suggestion wrt 16:9 sets and zooming:

My Thomson set switches from 4:3 to 16:9 anamorphic mode by detecting
the right voltage on pin 6 of the SCART connector.

Whilst my set does have a "zoom" control on the remote, it doesn't
provide a true anamoprhic widescreen.  Instead it does a horrible
non-linear thing which just smears out the sides.

So - I want to take advantage of LIRC's output capabilities so my Myth
box can switch my TV from 4:3 to true 16:9.

I had in mind for Myth to call an external routine on zoom
changes.  It could pass the zoom mode, and accept back a possibly
modified zoom mode.

EG - when switching from 4:3 to 16:9, the external routine could
toggle the TV to widescreen and then send back to Myth that it need do
no actual zoom.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Steve "the other one" Davies