[mythtv] pcHDTV status

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Nov 13 15:48:30 EST 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> writes:
>

>>>time-delay == Pause?  So automatic recording does not quite work?
>>
>>No, by time delay I meant time-shifting.  Record ER Thursday night,
>>watch it Sunday.  Works fine assuming all your ducks stay in the row
>>you put them in -- I'd say I get about a 50% success rate at the moment
>>due to various problems (some of them reception).
>

> Hmm, when I think about time-shifting, I think they mean something
> like watching ER starting at 10:15 instead of the normal 10pm start.
> I also include in time-shifting the ability to pause real-time programs.
>
> Recording a show on Thursday and watching it on Sunday is just, well,
> recording it..  It's no different than using a standard VCR.  I don't
> consider that time-shifting in the PVR sense of the word.
>
> Usually time-shifting implies watching a program that is being
> broadcast _now_ but not watching it in real-time, so you've shifted
> the time that you start watching the program.  Hense, "time-shifting".

I believe the term "time-shifting" was coined in the legal cases
concerning consumer video recorders in the '70s and '80's. Its
meaning has something to do with any form of viewing broadcast
television at a time other than when it was broadcast. It does
have a specific legal definition.

A half-hearted web search didn't turn up anything concrete but
here's a blurb about the Supreme Court decision.

    "In addition, in 1984 the Supreme Court held that time-shifting
    (for example, private, non-commercial home taping of television
    programs with a VCR to permit later viewing) is fair use. (Sony
    Corporation of America v. Universal City Studios, 464 U.S. 417
    (1984, S.C.)"

Pausing live TV is new due to digital recorders so the more
traditional meaning implies watching something on a day other
than when it was broadcast (or at least not until the tape was
rewound =). However, prerecorded or record in progress are both
time-shifting.

--  bjm