[mythtv] DVB stuttering problems

Wed Nov 12 05:00:15 EST 2003

> Are you not seeing these problems at all Ed ? I noticed the sampling
> frequency change and did wonder if that might have something to do with
> it.

Only very occasionally.  I suspect that there might be a tiny race condition where something is holding open the audio device and the driver can't change frequency?

In any case I am using an RME 96/8 card which doesn't have a hardware mixer, so the point is that I can only have one audio channel at a time and I think myth works fine most of the time, but has a problem occasionally when you switch audio sample rates.  This is quite rare for me though.

In the longer term I would prefer to spend time converting mythmusic to use alsa so that I can pipe it through DRC (see freshmeat).  The RME card is good competition for CD players in the £1000+ upwards bracket and with DRC I'm hoping to get much higher quality still.  This is serious hifi on a budget (forget about Audigy cards unless you just want games, the pro stuff like the RME cards is sensational quality)

> However, I am more concerned by the messages saying NO LOCK, is this
> actually output from the driver or from myth ?

Depends whether you just get one or two on channel change?  The driver waits for the card to get it's arse in gear and if this takes more than a hundred ms or so I think it prints a warning. (It usually will do).  Also you may get a few warnings about corrupt TS during the channel change.  Seems quite normal.

Basically if you can watch TV then the NO LOCK is not proving to be a problem.  Watch the output of tzap to see what I mean.

> changing channels across a mux didn't cause this stuttering so I can't see
> how it can be my audio driver as nothing else has changed in my setup.

Could be a race condition which has been introduced.  Does your sound card support multiple opens of the same audio channel? ie can you play two sounds at once?  Lots of sound cards can, and so likely no one has spotted this problem.

> this file. It then fails on compile looking for varsettings.h - have I

Check the libmyth.pro file for that missing .h file.  Probably the patch applied the .cpp file, but not the .h file?