[mythtv] crash in mythbackend

Tony Clark tclark at telia.com
Mon May 12 20:05:13 EDT 2003

On Monday 12 May 2003 18.36, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > Any reason it can't just run in a separate process? From my cursory
> > reading it doesn't *want* to share any data with the main mythbackend
> > process. So, it would seem simpler to spawn a new mythbackend process
> > with a command line of "--flag-commercials <chan> <datetime>" and not
> > have to worry about sharing any state inappropriately. Just say no to
> > threads (when they aren't necessary).
> To quote myself off of the irc channel:
> 	why work around a bug when you can fix it. :)
> Isaac is already working on the fix.
> I do have a stand-alone program that can be used to flag commercials,
> but that wasn't meant to be distributed with myth.  I use it to test
> new detection code since it allows me to re-flag my videos using the
> new code.  So, either way is possible (thread vs external program),
> but there's no compelling reason to make it an external program
> other than the fact that you can re-run the flagging routine if the
> backend crashes during recording or flagging.  If that happens then
> you might not have a seektable though so skipping would be slow
> anyway which is another issue being discussed.  Maybe an external
> flagging program that can flag commercials but also fix the seektable
> if it doesn't exist is necessary.

Dunno about the above, but where it could be useful is supplying you tuning
information for say commerical TV in Sweden or others parts of the world.  I
currently have is permanently disabled as it tends to do or did nasty things
if it doesn't recognise a commerical and you hit the z key.

- --
Contract ASIC and FPGA design.
Telephone +46 702 894 667

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)